
1) The characters make decisions based upon their unique prejudices.
A prime example of this in the text is the tension between Matthias and Nina. Their respective nations are engaged in a generations-long war. Each was raised hearing stories of the other’s people: their horrid ways and barbaric mindsets. They struggle to set aside the prejudices even when cooperation is the difference between life and death. These blinding prejudices make Nina and Matthias more real, as humans are creatures of gossip and quick, general impressions. We operate based on what we think we know and what we can infer from that knowledge, and that’s just what Nina and Matthias do. The conflict between Nina and Matthias also helps solidify the world the story takes place in, giving us some diplomatic information as we get to know the characters.
2) Each character has a distinct set of experiences, which are explored in the story, and used to soften the harsh reality that they are outlaws.
Again, I settle on a more prominent case of this within the story: Kaz Brekker. Kaz is infamous in this reality, a figure of legend. His peers see him as a calculating and infallible leader. Kaz, as a child, suffered a tragic experience, and blames solely one person for this. His intense hunger for revenge, paired with life on the streets, pushed Kaz to become what he is. Kaz’s tragedy helps the reader sympathize with him. He would otherwise be an abhorrent, barely human entity with bloodied hands. Kaz’s human traits are developed through a bit of a cliché (the tragic outlaw protagonist), but they are potent nonetheless.
I feel that the author sacrificed an perfectly smooth story to develop these characters in their respective chapters and incorporate details about them that would otherwise have been lost. Flashbacks occur frequently to inform the reader of the character’s motivations. (I really enjoyed the flashbacks, and would venture to say they kept me more interested than the main story.) Each character has their own struggle during the heist, and each is individually narrated. I have labeled this a slight annoyance because these obstacles seemed slightly incohesive, and happened during the intense action of the heist. However, I think these character-specific narratives allow a reader to know the characters more intimately, and help emphasize the individual conflicts that transform these outlaws into characters the reader can sympathize with.
Overall, I enjoyed the story and connected with the characters. I look forward to reading the sequel, Crooked Kingdom.
Rating: 4/5
-Fallon M.
I have also read this book, and I would say my favorite part of it was definitely how well developed and unique the characters were. I agree that by switching between perspectives, the author allows the reader to connect and sympathize with adept and dangerous criminals. The story really kept me on the edge, because each character was so cunning and skilled independently, and untrusting due to past experiences, which made me think constantly think they would betray each other. I really liked reading this, and definitely recommend it for people who like fantasy!
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like a really great book, and I love the way you explained how your points. It was very precise and well written. Thanks for introducing a new book to my reading list lol.
ReplyDeleteI have been wanting to read this book for a long time, and your review inspired me to check it out!
ReplyDeleteThis book sounds like a really great book! Books like these where it deals with a ruthless government are some of my favorite. Also, I haven't read a book that focuses on thieves and murderers; usually it focuses on a innocent and naive person.
ReplyDeleteI like the way you break the premise of the story down into two chunks, with a nice summary and then explicit references to the material. Nice job.
ReplyDeleteThis book sounds like a really good book! I think characters in fantasy books can often be completely good or completely evil or good with just one flaw, and this review makes it seem like the characters are really realistic and are not just black and white. I really liked the way you explained your points! I like fantasy, so I'm looking forward to reading this!
ReplyDelete-Maya V
I read this book earlier this year, and I really enjoyed it! It was really interesting to read about criminals, and I liked how none of the characters were completely good or evil. Great review Fallon!
ReplyDelete