Fall Break Reading - Top 3

 These are my top 3 book recommendations to read over fall break. I’ve been reading more recently, and I have compiled a list of good books to read after a long and stressful first quarter.

3: The Theodore Boone Series by John Grisham

Over the years I have read the seven books in this series over and over, enjoying them every time. This book follows the life of the kid-lawyer Theodore Boone who,  with help from his parents, takes on legal adventures in the town of Strattenburg. The consistent plot in all these books are as follows: a problem pops up that doesn’t immediately affect Theodore. Theodore learns more about the problem and becomes more passionate about it and he attempts to solve it. I know this is a more generic plot, but to be honest the details and timeline of each story make them unique although they all have a super similar plotline. I recommend this book as a quick and easy read, which will never get old. I have read this series over and over for many years and I still find it fun to read.

2: Utilitarianism by John Stewart Mill

Recently, I find that I have been starting to get more and more interested in philosophical books, one of which being Utilitarianism by John Stewart Mill. After reading this book, I fell into a rabbit hole of constantly googling more and more things about utilitarianism; the ethical theory of maximizing self-satisfaction and overall happiness while maintaining and improving the well-being of all the affected individuals. After reading this and also reading several articles about the subject, I think that concepts of utilitarianism can really help someone be a better person, and it’s a good philosophy to live by. I recommend this book as it’s one of the better written treatises that I have read on this subject and I overall enjoyed this book.

1: Woolly: The True Story of the Quest to Revive One of History's Most Iconic Extinct Creatures by Ben Mezrich

I first got this book as a gift for my birthday, after going back to Barnes and Noble time and time again just to read it. This story is a narrative based on real-life events and it tells about the continuing journey to retrieve the woolly mammoth from extinction. This story is somewhat of a biography of George Church. He and a group of scientists work together to resurrect cells and try to clone the woolly mammoth. They plan to turn land in Siberia into a real-life Jurassic Park, with mammoths instead of dinosaurs. I like this book because of how easy it is to read, and also how the author is able to insert real science into something that seems more like fantasy.  It’s a great introductory book to concepts of genetics and overall a fun narrative, which makes it a really good book. Go check it out!

-Ryan


Comments

  1. I appreciate your intention to provide us a list of great books to read over the break to alleviate our stress. The books seem very interesting, especially your top one since it is a mixture of science and some interesting topics that you mentioned. I will go ahead and try to check one out for the break! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment