Shel's Splendid Stanza Sagas
If you have never read any of Shel Silverstein's children's poems, stop what you are doing right now and read a few here. This week, I delved into one of Silverstein's anthologies in search of some common traits in his poems-- the characteristics that make them the brilliant, upside-down jokes they are.
Regardless which Silverstein poem you read, chances are that it will offer some new perspective on a commonplace occurrence. He warps these common things into new, interesting tales, which makes his work interesting and hysterical to read. I am here to point out and comment on some of his more common twists.
One of the strategies that Silverstein uses often is assigning a literal meaning to an English expression or phrase. For example, one of his poems, "Little Hoarse," follows the story of a man who tells some children that he is "a little hoarse." The children, of course, believe he means that he is an animal for them to ride around town. In another example, "The Nap Taker," a young child is sent to court over taking a nap that did not belong to them. One of my favorites, "Everything on it," tells the sad tale of a person who orders a hot dog with everything on it. In addition to the traditional tomatoes and condiments, the hot dog arrives with things like a bee, a wristwatch, and a fiddle. These poems are unerringly amusing because they poke fun at words and phrases that English speakers just use thoughtlessly every day. Examining these phrases through Silverstein's poems forces readers to realize how ridiculous they are. I am now going to make a pathetic grab at "deeper meanings" to these poems. Ahem. Perhaps they could inspire empathy for people attempting to navigate an unfamiliar language by illuminating the absurdity of the English language. Or perhaps they could be cautioning readers to take care in communications, to avoid the risk of bee-ridden hot dogs.
I also enjoy the poems that rely on illustrations to reveal a secondary plot. The narration seems to indicate a perfectly normal activity until the reader notices the accompanying image. They then realize the poem is relating a completely different event. For example, one poem, "Three O'clock," seems at first to be observations from a newly hired bell ringer. Upon examining the illustration co-occupying the page, the reader understands the narrator's woes: the bell-ringer does not pull the rope, but instead acts as the clapper of the bell. In "Why is it," the narrator laments the suddenly odd fit of their clothing. The illustration reveals that this is the case for the narrator not because its just one of those days, but because they have donned every article of clothing improperly. Perhaps one of the best examples is "The Runners/" What appears at first to be a lovely verse a track team wrote as a tribute to their coach quickly turns into a horror story.



While I was reading this, I had so much nostalgia about sitting in the school library in 5th grade and poring over his poetry books. I had so much fun seeing all the word techniques he used in his mini-stories. Great post!
ReplyDeleteThis sounds really interesting! I have never read these poems before but I really enjoyed reading the poems in your post! I agree that it is nice when the pictures add to the story and I think it is cool that the poems can have so many different styles. Great job!
ReplyDelete