My Favorite Book


 I love The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie Andrews Edwards. That goes without saying, because after all, it is the title of this blog post! I first found this book on my sister’s bookshelf many years ago while looking around her room. I couldn’t tell whether this was from her school or from the library, but I took a look. Little did I know that I would read it many more times in the future.

It is a rainy day when the three siblings, Melinda, Ben, and Tom Potter meet a man named Professor Savant whose house is the scariest house on the block. After being dared to knock on the door, they meet each other and quickly become friends. Soon, they discover that there is a land called Whangdoodleland, a place that can only be reached with your imagination. Magical creatures and the last Whangdoodle inhabit Whangdoodleland after evacuating out of fear that the humans who lived in the real world were losing their imaginations. Professor Savant and the three kids explore this magical world in an effort to find the Whangdoodle, but face many challenges set by the Oily Prock, the Prime Minister. With the help of a resident named the Whiffle Bird, they combat these challenges to meet the great Whangdoodle.


This is one of the few books that I’ve remembered from my childhood. I read it several times over, each time having a better experience than the last. Even reading it as recently as a month ago, this book brings back many fond memories. I remember that, like this book foretells, my imagination has faded. It highlights the importance of imagination and belief, and that anything can become possible if we believe in it. 


This book has a great ending, and after some reflection, this book has so many lessons. The world has gotten boring and having a story like this to bring imagination back is vital. I give this book a 10/10. It seems ridiculous and pointless, but there's so much more to this. I loved this book and I really encourage anyone to read it.


-Ryan

Comments

  1. I have read this book and I really liked it too! I agree that the book's message is very important and people should take more time for imagination. When I read the book, I really liked imagining that I was going to Whangdoodleland and I really liked reading about all of the different adventures that the characters went through along the way. I thought that the adventures and the Whangdoodle itself were very unique and imaginative and fun to read about! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never read the book, but it seem really fun. The cover art looks pretty fun and whimsical, and your recommendation of it makes it seem like a pretty special book. Overall great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing post. This book seems so fun. The characters seem silly but entertaining, and the lessons sound really important. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post! Although I have not read this book, your review and high praise makes me want to read it. The title makes this book seem like a fun time to read. Overall, great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment